Saturday, July 16, 2011

Knights of the Old Republic


Hey guys, Spooge again and I'm going to talk about and older game today.  This game is called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but most people abbreviate it as KOTOR.  This game was released in 2003 for the original Xbox, and it was released on PC later on.  The PC version is better because it has better graphics, and you can install mods.  So if you have a PC that can run it, (unlike me) you should get it.  It's only $10 on Steam.    KOTOR won many awards in its time and it's no surprise either.

KOTOR is and RPG where you make important choices that can put you on the light side, or the dark side.  These decisions also affect what happens later on in the game.  You can also make dialogue choices that leave an impact and decide if you are good or evil.  In my opinion it has one of the greatest stories a video game has ever had.  I might get a lot of criticism for this, but I think the Old Republic story is better than the movies.  That's just my opinion though.

The voice acting in this game is superb, it really adds to the depth of the characters.  The characters in this game are some of my favorite in any game.  Those characters include Bastila Shan, Carth Onasi, HK47, Canderous Ordo, and Jolee Bindo.  These characters become your companions that you bring along with you to help complete missions.

Throughout the game you can travel to many different worlds.  You start off on a sith controlled world called Taris.  After you leave Taris, you can travel to Dantooine, Kashyyk, Manaan, Tatooine, and Korriban.  That's about all I am going to tell you about the story.  If you want to know the rest of the story, buy the game!  It's only $10!

One minor complaint I have about this game is the graphics.  They aren't too bad, but compared to other games at the time, they aren't very good.  Also, the lip syncing in this game is awful.  But, these things don't really affect the gameplay at all.

Another important aspect of any game is the soundtrack.  The music in this game is fantastic.  Here is one of the songs:


The combat system isn't what you would expect from a Star Wars game.  It's turn based, sort of like if you were playing Pokemon, but with force powers and lightsabers.  That might not be the most accurate comparison, because there is much more depth to it and stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

There are many side quests to do too and there is a lot of variation.  Some of them involve a lot of thinking and talking like investigating a crime scene.  Other ones include just killing enemies.  This game will keep you playing for a long time.  Even after you beat it, because you'll want to go back and see what it is like to make different decisions.

I recommend not looking at any videos or walkthroughs  on your first playthrough.  You will thoroughly enjoy it more if you go in knowing nothing about what is going to happen.  Especially at one point in the story when there is a huge revelation that I don't want to spoil for you.  It is definitely one of the most surprising moments in Star Wars history, up there with Darth Vader revealing himself to being Luke's father.

Knights of the Old Republic II

There was also  KOTOR 2, but I never really liked it that much.  Unlike the first one, it wasn't developed by Bioware, but another company called Obsidian.  It could have been so much better, but apparently Obsidian was rushed to release the game and they had to cut out a bunch of stuff.  I would like to see what it could have been like.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Bioware is making the next KOTOR game.  But, much to my disappointment , it isn't KOTOR 3.  Instead it is an MMO that takes place some 300 years after KOTOR 2.  It still looks amazing, and I will probably end up playing it.  Bioware is always great at creating amazing stories and compelling characters.  I don't think any of my friends will be playing it so I need to find people to play with.  Here is one of the cinematic trailers for The Old Republic:
Looks pretty fucking awesome right?  I am really, really, excited to play this game, but I kind of want a KOTOR 3 to tie up the loose ends from KOTOR 2.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this, please let me know in the comments, and as always have nice day! :)

                                                -Spooge

No comments:

Post a Comment